click advert

Saturday 3 October 2015

I’d like to be a model –Evimena, first class graduate, Ben Idahosa University


Evimena OrukeleEvimena Orukele, 20, graduated with a first class from the Department of Microbiology, Ben Idahosa University, Benin, Edo State, in the 2014/2015 academic session having had a 4.68 CGPA. In this interview, she tells TUNDE AJAJA about her experience in school and how she was able to make first class
How easy was it to have a first class?
Easy? I really don’t know whether to say it was easy or not, because excellence does not come cheap. Beyond having passion for the course, which is also helpful, it required some hard work and the grace of God because some people worked harder than
I did. I believe God crowned my effort.
ADVERTISEMENT
Was it in your plan to graduate with a first class?
I didn’t have the plan initially. God just made it possible. I used to be an above-average student in my previous schools. In fact, I had a little delay with my senior school certificate examination but I passed my Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination once. However, when I got to the higher institution, I took things more seriously. In my first year, during one of our lectures, the lecturer told us to work hard and aim for first class. He said the university used to reward first class students with some cash prizes at the end of every session. That motivated me to work harder so I could be a part of it. Even though the programme was cancelled and I couldn’t benefit from it, I’m happy I had a first class. I started having first class in my second year. It enabled me to stretch myself and I’m happy I got the desired result.
Were there things you did differently from others to have such result?
No, I don’t think I did anything differently. I didn’t limit my reading to what we were taught in class and I used to read after class and ensure that I understood the courses we were taught. For example, if we were taught a new topic, I would read everything I could about it and identify the grey areas so that I could sort such areas out later. That helped me too. So, basically, I worked hard.
But some people are of the opinion that it is easier to have first class in private schools than in public schools, how do you feel about that?
Wherever you find yourself, I believe if you work hard and you are committed to your goal, you can achieve any feat. Whether private or public school, the same principle of hard work and God’s grace apply, so I don’t believe such information.
Some of those who end up studying Microbiology usually wanted to study Medicine. Did you once have such dream too?
Yes. My dream as a child was to be a doctor. I always had interest in Biology, the function of the human body and health-related matters, so I had some liking for it but I couldn’t get admission to study it. I applied to study medicine and surgery in University of Nigeria, Nsukka but I wasn’t admitted. Meanwhile, I have always had great interest in Biology since I was in secondary school, so it wasn’t difficult settling for Microbiology at that time. I’ll still like to go for Medicine if there is finance and I have the time.
But some people have described Biology and Microbiology as abstract, how do you react to that?
Abstract, How? Microbiology is simply a study of micro-organisms, including their harmful and beneficial effects. And for those who don’t know much about it, microbiology is applicable in most areas of life because of its broad scope. It is important in medicine, food and drink processing, as well as in the environmental and petroleum sector. Just to mention a few of its relevance in human’s daily activities, food preservation; we store food in the refrigerator to avoid attack by microorganisms, which would lead to the spoilage of the food. In the making of certain drinks, microorganisms are employed for fermentation. The list goes on and on. So, there is nothing abstract in microbiology.
Which part of the course did you enjoy most?
Medical Microbiology, which deals with disease control and its preventive measures. I love it because it has to do with public health.
Did you find any part difficult?
Yes, I found Petroleum Microbiology difficult. It’s about mining of crude oil. In most oil rigs, they use heat and steam to force out the oil from underneath, but you can actually use micro-organism, nurture them in the laboratory and because of the metabolism, when you sink them into that oil well, instead of using steam, the micro-organism, because of their growth and physiology, they can change the physical properties of the well so that the oil will pump out easily on its own. And you can use them for biogas production. For example, the septic tank in many homes usually has a vent. What is coming out of that vent is biogas, which can be harnessed and used to produce electricity and gas for cooking. The vent is necessary because if it stays there for too long, it will burst out.
But that explanation sounds interesting. What makes it difficult?
I found it a bit challenging because when I wrote the first test, it wasn’t what I was expecting. The second test was also below my target, so that made me almost lose interest in it. But, just as you said, it’s an interesting course, so, eventually, I developed interest in it.
What was your typical day like as an undergraduate?
Apart from the normal lectures, I used to have my siesta so I could relax and be refreshed. Sometimes, I stayed awake at night to read, but usually, I used to have a total of about eight hours of sleep every day and my reading schedule was largely dependent on what I had to cover. During exams, I used to read for about six hours daily. This is part of the reasons why I said I didn’t do anything differently. Going to the library was also not my preference. I rarely used the library, except when it was about one week to exam.
What were your memorable moments in school?
My happiest moment would be in the first semester of my third year when I had seven A’s and one B. I was so happy. Apart from the joy of having such a result, it gave my CGPA a real boost. My most embarrassing moment was in my fourth year during my seminar presentation. I was talking to a large congregation, comprising lecturers and students and I was swinging my leg like a bell. I thank God I scaled through.
How did you use your leisure, or you never had one?
I could sleep, read books or watch a movie. Those were the things that interest me. Reading has always been my hobby and I enjoy it. I think that also helped me in my academics because I read so many books on medicine and microbiology, which gave me a wider knowledge of the course and other related subjects.
Are you into modelling?
No. I’m not. My parents don’t want me to, but I’ll like to be one. I guess their main reservation is based on some unpleasant things some models do.
Were you social at all?
I wasn’t social but I tried to associate with people as much as I could.
How was growing up?
Growing up was a bit interesting. I was conservative because my parents were very strict. My dad was a lecturer and my mum a teacher. So, that explains it all. Having teachers as parents comes with some strict rules, and my case was not different in that regard. They were very strict and that helped me a lot.
Was there a way they encouraged/rewarded you for good performance?
They didn’t reward me with any gifts but the smile they had on their faces when I broke the news to them that I made a first class was amazing. That was enough for me. I’m glad I made them happy.
What about gestures from men, more so that men love to associate with brilliant ladies?
I didn’t really experience any of those. I wasn’t really disturbed by the male folks back then. I’m sure they thought I was a snub.
Is there anything you would have loved to do as a student that you could not do?
Yes. I would have loved to be part of a sports team.
Where would you like to work?
The World Health Organisation. WHO deals with the health of the people and how to foster good health, combat diseases and other related issues. I wish to work with that kind of organisation, more so that it handles health-related matters on a wider perspective. I just want to be relevant in my area of expertise, and that is health.
What is your advice to students?
Students should work hard and have passion for their courses. They must have special interest in the course they are studying. I have always loved Biology, thus, I had to study something that relates to it and it helped me. Also, students should have their minds on what they really want. And they need to involve God in their activities.
source;punch

No comments:

Post a Comment